The Alliance at Lillegard Castle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Disturbing Silence [Ambrose + Shae]
by Ambrose Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:35 am

» Plant Music [Risko and Hunter]
by Risiko Bann Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:30 pm

» Trying to fly [open]
by Cynric Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:41 am

» New Room means new Roommate (Shae and Zin)
by Shae-Lantern Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:34 am

» Happy as a flower. (Corey and Alicia)
by Corey Passionbunny Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:58 am

» Little Song [Denskith + Richard]
by Denskith Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:47 am

» A stroll through the mountains... (Audi and Gen)
by Genivir Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:39 am

» Books and Boredom (Shae and Sheloe)
by Shae-Lantern Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:04 am

» A Short Day (open)
by Risiko Bann Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:34 am

» Humble Hoodoo and Adamant Alchemist
by Natan Isaac Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:07 am

Top posting users this week
No user

All or Nothing

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

All or Nothing Empty All or Nothing

Post  Richard Wallace Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:55 pm

It had to be here somewhere...

Squinting as furiously as he was flapping his wings, Richard was searching the ocean waves as he flew high above them. He had made the way from the mainland to the Island quite a few times before, but it felt like it had been so long ago... besides, he never was quite good at finding his way around places. Especially as featureless as the open sea. Perhaps he should turn back while he still knew which direction he had come from, and wait for the boatman to follow to the Island...

And then it appeared.

The sharp peaks of Lauri Mountains drew a jagged line across the cloudy sky as lush green rolling hills stretched out in front and below him. To his left, the darker mass of the Heron Forest was visible, and far away, in the distance, he could see the castle.

"Land, ho..." he said to himself quietly.

Slowly, he descended down to the ground to land in the soft grass right above a sharp cliff overseeing the ocean. With a 'poof' sound, the bat was replaced with the much larger form of a man, laying on the ground on his stomach. Immediately, his hand shot out to check if his overstuffed backpack was still in place. It was. Good. They wouldn't get it. Sighing, Richard trailed his hand across the grass, as if petting it. It felt almost warm compared to the freezing cold of the skies high above. This was no place for resting, though, so with a tired groan, he attempted to stand up, resulting in stumbling forward to have his face meet the grass again. Right, after a long time of being only a bat, learning to walk on two legs again was always a struggle. How long had it been...? A month? Something along those lines... Slowly, he pushed himself up, pausing to throw a glare over his shoulder at the sun warming his back, then took a few careful, unstable steps, arms jutted out to the sides. After his legs remembered the motions of walking, he set out marching in the direction of the castle. It would be quite the trek, but after such a long flight it was a pleasant change.

Only when he reached the shade of the Heron Forest did he pause, and it was by a small pond that he carefully set down his baggage and sat down, letting out a deep breath. But it was still not yet the time for resting. Pushing himself forward to kneel down, he leaned over the edge of the water to look at his reflection, apprehensive of what he would see. And for good reason. He couldn't help a wince as he took in the tangled mess his hair had become, the wrinkled clothes, the stubble, baggy eyes and hallow cheeks. He looked like a hobo. Sighing, he reached back for the backpack. Luckily, he had quite a while to pull himself together, as the sun was high up, and he would not be seen while it was still in the sky. There were some things best left not known by the general public.

While the malnourished, tired appearance couldn't be helped, he did what he could for his grooming. He shaved to the best of his capability over the shaky surface of the water. The dirty travel clothes were safely tucked away in favor of a more presentable outfit. His hair was harder to salvage. Some of the knots had to be cut out and whatever remained was brushed back in loose, chaotic curls, as when the time had come to choose between packing the hair straightener or a second shirt, the choice was the latter. Richard didn't think the hairdo was all that bad, though. It fit.

Richard passed through the castle gates and entered the vestibule. Too many different emotions that had gone through him within the past few weeks combined to put him in a state of complete apathy, like all the bright colors on a palette mixing into a brownish, dull grey. He looked around, shrugged, then headed straight for the room of the Dean that he thought he could cope with seeing at that time. The way there was short and simple enough, but he was still worried about being seen. That would be no good for anybody. He stopped by the door, and all the while keeping an eye and ear out for anybody approaching, quietly knocked twice.
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Height : 183 cm
Weight : 87 kg

http://roqi.deviantart.com/art/AALC-Richard-Wallace-278528217

Back to top Go down

All or Nothing Empty Re: All or Nothing

Post  Rendaz "Flammy" Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:05 am

These days, his living quarters resembled a wasteland more than a room. Ever since it had been cleared of his recent project - the MOXIs, as he'd called them - there was naught left but some unused scrap materials, bits and bolts around the floor, and a few empty robot shells that had failed to meet his standards. He'd cleared the furniture months ago to make room, but he'd failed to put back anything but his working desk, used only as somewhere for him to place his tools.

The thick stench of smoke filled the air. He'd not renewed himself on the lava lately; there'd been little need, and even littler time to do so. As of now, he was tinkering with something that resembled a much smaller version of the MOXIs, though it lacked any legs or head. Its wiry insides were spilled out like intestines as the ruckarl pulled and prodded at them, humming lowly under his breath. The wooden stool he sat on was made for little comfort, yet, he seemed content to sit in an awkward, hunched position for hours on end.

There was a knock at the door. After a moment's pause, he drew his eyes towards it, already annoyed at the prospect of interruption. It was rarely good news, if there was any good news at all to be found in this cesspit of a castle. Of course, bad news was important too, and regretfully, he still had an obligation to see what it was.

Standing, he stepped quietly towards the door, before opening the hatch, red eye squinting to see who it was. Then, surprise. He blinked at the figure before him; though his appearance had changed, drastically so from that odd, mannerly counsellor, it was evident that this was the same person. He'd fled a long time ago, and in his earnest opinion, it had been a wise but cowardly move. And now he'd returned? Questions. There were so many questions, but Rendaz found it necessary to ask the most important one first.

"What business do you have here?" he snapped from behind the door, not intending to open it until he got a satisfactory answer.
Rendaz
Rendaz "Flammy"
Admin

Height : 168 cm
Weight : 82 kg

http://luppa.deviantart.com/art/AALC-Rendaz-Flammy-326794937

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Richard raised a brow slightly at the hatch -- and the curt question. He could hardly see the eye in the small window, but the smell of smoke, oil and metal drifting through it was strong. If it wasn't Rendaz, he would have wondered if the person was wary or scared of him; but this was certainly just the lizard's legendary warmth and hospitality in action.

Good. He wasn't going to pretend he was pleased to see him, either. They both knew the truth.

A few options for a response drifted through his head -- 'can i borrow some sugar?', 'oh nothing, just dropping by', 'do you have the time to hear about our lord and savior, Jesus Christ?' -- but in the end, sass wouldn't get him anywhere that he cared to go.

"Business that I need to talk over with a Dean." He spoke calmly and politely, keeping the 'preferably not through a door' unspoken, and gave a light shrug. "If you're otherwise engaged, I can go to Kale."

If that didn't get him to open the door, nothing would.
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rendaz "Flammy" Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:57 am

He squinted darkly at his words. There really was no way he was going to allow him to see Kale first, especially not if he had any kind of information to share. Kale had enough of an advantage as is. After drawing out a long, thoughtful hum, he closed the hatch. A few clicks sounded around the door, before a metallic groan signalled its opening. He leered through the gap in the door, peering to see if there was anyone behind his visitor, before tugging open the door fully.

Already, he was compiling the questions that he had to ask. Though he lacked the concern for the man's general life, he had to confess that he'd been a valuable asset before his departure. He could do so again.

He gestured to inside his room, wearing little but a vague frown and a careful stare. "Get in and sit down. We'll talk." His grip on the door was tight, ready to shut it the moment he entered the room.
Rendaz
Rendaz "Flammy"
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:52 am

Bingo. A small and entirely unsatisfying victory.

He folded his hands behind his back, under his backpack, as he waited for all the locks to be opened. Rendaz's room was apparently quite the fortress. That was not entirely unreasonable, he supposed.

With a nod, he walked in and past the dean, sparing just the briefest of glances at the lack of an outfit. There were plenty enough other things to gaze upon -- the cluttered landscape of the room was almost impressive in its disorder -- but they failed to catch his interest, either. Interest required energy, and Richard had precious little to spare. He stepped over a bit of junk, then lifted his gaze from the only available seat back to Rendaz.

"Do I take the stool, then?" he asked, indifferent to the answer. Sitting down would be more comfortable, but would make it easier to drift off, and the chair looked fairly dirty; remaining standing would be painful and require effort, but may keep him more alert. It didn't make much of a difference.
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rendaz "Flammy" Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:29 am

He glanced back only once at the aforementioned stool, answering with nothing but a curt, expectant "Yes." It would be rude to let a guest stand, after all. Not that Rendaz particularly cared much about manners, but he certainly preferred to be the one closer to the door. As such, when Richard entered the room, he firmly shoved the door shut, swiftly applying the locks once again.

He turned to face his visitor again, whether or not he'd chosen to take the seat. "So," he began, his eyes skimming over his less-than-perfect getup. "You look like you've been dragged through a hedge," he remarked. It wasn't as if Rendaz himself had any right to nitpick on appearances... nor did he really care.

After staring in thought, brushing his chin with the tip of his fingers, he narrowed his eyes. "What do you want here? Why did you come back?" Apparently, there would be no ceremonious welcoming.
Rendaz
Rendaz "Flammy"
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:00 pm

Without a word, Richard made his way through the mess to the one item in the room which had an immediately obvious purpose. He tried not to look at it too closely before sitting down. His trousers weren't the freshest anyway. As he was sitting down, the room spun around him, making him miss the center of the seat just ever so slightly. He made his best attempt to pretend he had meant to do that.

Only a light shrug and a wry smile was given to the remark as he smoothed a hand over his shirt. It was, quite simply, true -- especially compared to what he looked like the last time Rendaz saw him. So long ago it was...

He gave a hum to acknowledge the questions, but took a moment to answer. Turning around slightly in his seat, he ran his index finger across the edge of the desk to test its cleanliness, then leaned carefully against it in place of a backrest and gave Rendaz a ponderous look.

Finally, a chuckle escaped him. "The same old story everybody here can tell. I have found myself in a situation where the Castle is, supposedly, the best place for me to be." He intertwined his fingers and gave Rendaz a calm look. "Please, do not collapse into a gooey pile of sympathy on my behalf. Let us keep ourselves collected in these tragic times."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rendaz "Flammy" Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:29 am

Rendaz squinted at Richard, not quite returning the amusement through anything other than the subtle twitch of his lips. "I can hardly contain my tears." He took a pause to breathe out a long trail of smoke, his flat stare pinned on him the entire time.

"I ain't calling you a liar, but something tells me that ain't the whole truth." He raised a brow at him. Did he really have to beat around the bush with it? He didn't think he'd traipse all the way back here just to say that. It did confirm one thing, though - in one way or another, Richard was relying on the island for something.

"I'm sure you have more of story than that to share." He tilted his head, adopting mock-sad look. "It''s been over half a year. Surely you missed us?"
Rendaz
Rendaz "Flammy"
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:32 pm

Some amusement flickered in his eyes as he held Rendaz's gaze unflinchingly. He never did have much of a problem looking into people's eyes, no matter what they - or he - were doing or saying.

"Oh, of course. I could barely contain my tears, day in and day out." He considered something for a moment, then shook his head. "I wasn't going to bore you with my life's story, but if you insist." He cleared his throat. "I left on my merry way to, coincidentally, almost the other side of the globe, and took up a comfortably mundane job. Good times were had." He examined his nails. "But then, unfortunate health problems rendered it quite hard to live amongst the ever suspicious human populace." He looked to Rendaz darkly, almost daring in a way. Honesty was difficult, but in this situation, hiding the truth would be even harder. "Sadly, there's not many retirement homes for old vampires, so here I am."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rendaz "Flammy" Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Accurate to Richard's words, Rendaz very well was prepared to be quite bored. But even the boring details were important, or at least, he wasn't prepared to just let it slide only knowing that Richard had returned 'for some reason'. Not that he was particularly prepared to hear the truth either.

However, his flat look soon turned to one of vague interest at the talk of health problems. It seemed like an important issue if it was enough for him to come stumbling back here. That, and a weakness... He wasn't even going to pretend that he was sympathetic - that act had already been done. "And what sort of problems made it so difficult to live out there? If, of course, you don't mind me asking." Well, for manner's sake, that last part had to be added.
Rendaz
Rendaz "Flammy"
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Choosing Rendaz had been a right choice. Even if the Kale... business hadn't happened, the lizard was certainly better if one wasn't in the mood for beating around the bush. He didn't seem like good company, but perhaps a good coworker. When one wasn't breaking chairs for him to fix, anyway.

Richard put on a smile that would be amiable, if there was any actual feeling behind it. "Alas, I would hate to pique your curiosity and then leave it unsatisfied... but, I am afraid that is exactly what I'm going to have to do." He tapped the tips of his fingers together. "Reason being, I do not really know. Maybe I can find my answer here, maybe just a place to live out my, hopefully numerous, days without fear of being arrested." He shrugged, then shifted in his seat, causing a crack somewhere in his spine. God, he would kill for a drink. A quick look around and his nose dashed his hopes of there being anything but coffee -- and Rendaz himself... but neither seemed particularly appealing. He wasn't at that level of desperation. Yet.
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rendaz "Flammy" Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:46 pm

An annoyed squint crossed Rendaz's face as the information was withheld. It seemed like an important detail to skirt around, especially considering that it seemed to be enough of a problem for the police to get involved.  As much as Rendaz wanted to (or rather, didn't want to) perform a doctoral analysis, he likely wouldn't be able to diagnose whatever 'problem' it was. Shame, but chances were, he'd find out sooner or later.

"Whatever it is, you will not let it get in the way of your duties." And that was an order. Rendaz paused to stare at him a few seconds to allow it to sink in. Truly, he'd just arrived, but he wasn't going to let a reason like that stop him from doing his fair share of work. "I assume you will be returning to your position as a counsellor?"
Rendaz
Rendaz "Flammy"
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Richard returned the stare, musing over how much he really wanted to tell the dean. The answer was, of course, that he wanted to share nothing at all, but some things needed to be said. He let out a sigh and glanced to the ceiling.

"I hope that you will take my honesty as a sign of good will when I admit that I cannot make promises about things out of my control. I can, however, promise that I will do my best and all I can." He looked the other in the eye again. "And from my past exploits on this island, Rendaz, you know that I'm hardly a slacker."

He let his gaze trail over the empty floor, traveling over the few objects there without much interest. They did not concern him -- at the moment, at least. The reptilian mechanic's creations were a thing that he was a bit curious about.

"Well." He paused, looking up from a mystifying piece of bent metal to the orange, unreal face. "Counseling is all well and good, but I do believe a better use for my abilities could be found."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rendaz "Flammy" Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:24 pm

If Richard wasn't going to tell him straight, the least that Rendaz could do was pick up on the hints. His squint remained, coupling only with a slow nod and a hum of understanding. So there were things that were 'out of his control'? That could only mean something bad. He snorted aloud at 'slacker'. And he agreed; Richard wasn't a slacker at all. Especially in the area of 'breaking chairs'.

"I suppose I'll have to take your word for it, won't I?" he spat, not expecting an answer. Who knows, the vampire's intentions could have changed entirely upon returning here. He could say what he wanted, but Rendaz was going to remain cautious.  

His look turned intrigued at his latter comment, though really, he shouldn't have been surprised - counselling seemed to be the more unpleasant of jobs. "And do you happen to have anything particular in mind?" he questioned, folding his arms and tapping his fingers against his elbows.
Rendaz
Rendaz "Flammy"
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:30 am

The amused noise made him quirk his brow, but he thought it best not to inquire as to what was so funny. It did bug him, however. He should have known Rendaz's way of thinking enough to guess. Well, that overlook from the past could surely be amended.

He smiled slightly, in that apologetic-but-not-really way. It was rather obvious -- to both of them, it seemed -- that Richard really didn't have anything to offer but his word.

"Yes indeed, I do." The smile grew a bit as he saw the interest in the lizard's eyes, but he was quick to wipe it in favor of a more neutral expression. He needed this to go right, and looking remotely smug about it going right could ruin the chances of it going right.

"A little bird told me," he began carefully, "that our dear headmistress Everly has deceased. Please do accept my sincerest condolences, et cetera." He waved a hand dismissively, knowing that Rendaz definitely hadn't wept for her. "I also happen to know that the indispensable dean Odqura had, indeed, dispensed himself elsewhere. I also happen to know that they used to be the ones handling most of the castle's food and supplies stocks, the shipping, the inventories, the finances, the room arrangements, the staffing... All of the tedious, boring things that now surely keep you away from your brilliant inventions and our charming dean Kale from... whatever it is that she's cooking in her lab." He raised his eyebrows and paused for a moment. "Well, I can help amend that."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rendaz "Flammy" Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:05 am

Rendaz waited quietly and expectantly for the vampire to continue, but as he did, a frown started to grow on his face, one that seemed to widen with every detail the man spat out. He'd assumed he had just arrived here - how had he known so much about the state of things here? A sense of unease tingled in his spine, knowing that someone, somewhere, was passing around details of the castle's vulnerable position. It was difficult to judge, but someone particularly sadistic could use it to their advantage. They were in no short supply of sadism here.

He tried to put aside his paranoia, but it refused to be quietened until two question had been satisfied. "...Firstly, which little bird are we speaking of here, and how much else do you know? And secondly..." He paced slowly around the room, pretending to inspect the scraps on the floor as he thought over what to say next. Could the man actually do the job? Well, many other employees were gruesomely incompetent, and it made little difference. It was true, they were in need of someone managing all of that. The question was trust. Not everyone was foolish enough to hire a shady visitor who'd randomly turned up asking for a specific job.

But his human appearance was so heavily advantageous, in comparison to himself and the wretched harpy. He sighed through his nostrils. "Secondly, if you take one step out of line, I will forbid you from returning. Is that clear?"

His stare was hard, but Rendaz knew that he had little option other than to hire him.
Rendaz
Rendaz "Flammy"
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:40 am

Richard watched the man attentively, every step, every bit of body language. The expression, the pacing, the onset of nervousness. It was good. He needed Rendaz to know he was no mere accountant. He didn't begin to answer until both of the questions were up in the air, and then for a moment longer, thinking back to how different things looked when he heard the news. Back then, it seemed about as important and advantageous to him as the events of one of his numerous favorite soap operas -- not very. And now... With a sigh, he looked into the red, glaring eyes again.

"A very pretty and rare little bird. Easily startled, as well. You understand I wouldn't want to risk losing such a catch." He spread his arms in a shrug. "Rest assured that it did not sing to anybody but me." Well, he couldn't guarantee that, but he was pretty certain that the bird in question had no other contacts -- or contracts -- of the sort. "You're smart, Rendaz. I'm sure you can see the value of a man who knows how to know things in a position such as the one I'm suggesting. And as for that..." He chuckled humorlessly and glanced down, smoothing a hand over a stain on the thigh of his jeans. "Seeing as you're smart indeed, you may have also realized I can't particularly afford to step out of line."

It was going well, but it did not feel like victory.
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rendaz "Flammy" Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:48 pm

Rendaz's frown didn't shift much at all as Richard spoke. His vague riddles weren't going to earn much of his respect. What now - investigate everyone with a vague allegiance with this man? Too unrealistic, and seemingly pointless. He would have to let it slide in the face of more important things - this job.

After he finished, his gaze dwindled over him carefully. "Yes, I'll make sure of that," he muttered, raising an arm to rub at his own chin. After a long moment of consideration, a grin cracked across his face. "Very well, then. We'll take you on. You will take care of the food and supplies, the rooming, the money, and all those odd things that you see fit to manage. However, greater decisions must be approved by us beforehand, and you will let us know of any and all changes around the castle." He raised his chin at the man, staring at him expectantly.
Rendaz
Rendaz "Flammy"
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:59 pm

His eyes narrowed slightly at the thinly veiled threat, but he gave no response. There couldn't be any. Having said all he had to say, Richard remained silent and still, looking back at the lizard -- the man -- that now held his fate in his clawed hands. Part of it, anyway. Most of it was still thankfully orchestrated by his own self.

His own wavering, unreliable self...

Pushing the thought to the back of his mind, he gave a nod and a polite smile. "Of course. I'm at your service." 'Us'. Not 'me'. Did Rendaz actually believe there was an equality in power and honest cooperation between himself and Kale, or was it just a pose? Or worse... was it, perhaps, true? That option was remarkably unlikely, but still the fact that he didn't know for sure was a thorn in his side. He placed his palm on the edge of the desk for support and with a slight grimace pushed himself up to his feet. No swaying. Not now. He probably still looked less than graceful, but that was okay, he was tired. But no swaying.

Standing up straight, he offered his hand to shake.
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rendaz "Flammy" Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:18 pm

As he answered, Rendaz's grin turned a bit more satisfied, pleased that Richard put up no fuss about the agreement. Lately, he'd come to expect the worst of people, so it was, admittedly, a refreshing difference. As he offered a hand, he returned it, gripping it firmly with a shake. Well, most things didn't feel official without a handshake, so this appeared to seal the deal.

"Excellent, then," he smirked. "I'm sure you'll find yourself at home in no time." Though, it wasn't to say that home had to be a pleasant place at all...

"Tomorrow," he said, drawing his hand away. "Your job starts tomorrow, and I expect you to meet me in the morning to discuss your duties. But as for right now..." His eyes flicked over him as his smile, all too quickly, morphed into a stern leer. "You look like a disgrace. You need a rest."
That was an order.
Rendaz
Rendaz "Flammy"
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Richard returned a hollow smile. Home. What an amusing idea. What was even more amusing was that he may have to start getting used to it. Not everybody got to choose what they got to call home, he supposed.

He couldn't help but breathe a weak chuckle. "I am ever so sorry to disobey you, but I am a vampire, sir. I shall meet you in the evening." He ran a hand through his hair. "And I promise to be less of a sore on your eyes by then."

A bath. He had no clue what happened to his 'human' body when he turned into a bat, but after a long time being... unused, it always ended up smelling of ozone and feeling unpleasantly dusty. A bath... A bath and a drink. Oh, God.

"Should I just see to my own needs and arrangements now, then?" he asked, not really expecting an answer. Letting out a sigh, he put a hand on his hip. "We really need a butler or something..."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rendaz "Flammy" Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:36 pm

He raised a brow at Richard. Truly, he hadn't bothered to retain that particular detail, and he was mildly annoyed to find that he'd been incorrect. He brushed off his correction with a grin. At least he'd be working earlier. "Oh, of course."

He exhaled a long wisp of smoke through his nostrils as he awaited his next question.  A butler... He'd sworn that he'd hired one, but then there was the question of whether he was actually doing his job. He'd perhaps need a telling-to...

He strolled to his desk, opening the drawers to quietly sift through them. He picked up a ring of keys, inspecting them carefully, before tossing them towards the vampire whether or not he was prepared to catch them. "These are the keys to the empty living quarters. They're numbered. Remove your key when you choose yours." Arms were placed akimbo. "I'm sure you can figure your way around, but we got maps in the library."

Of course, he'd managed to find his own room, so Rendaz had little doubt in his ability to navigate the castle by himself. And all for the better; less time wasted having to hold his hand along the way.
Rendaz
Rendaz "Flammy"
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:56 am

Honestly, he couldn't care less about the mistake. He never felt the need to be recognized as a vampire, quite the opposite, in fact; if a problem at all, it was Rendaz's.

He watched in silence as the lizardman walked across the room, then as he was out of sight, he used the opportunity to rub his forehead tiredly and let out a stifled sigh. His weary conscious mind was slow register the flying keys, but that part of him that was always aware and alert, that part that knew better what to do when somebody threw something at you, wasn't. Before he even began to realize what was going on, Richard felt himself stepping aside to dodge the 'projectile' and saw the ring of keys flying past to land on the floor and skid across it with an annoying jingle.

Right.

For a moment, he stared at the keys with a frown, like they were everything that was wrong with the world. His gaze was heavy as he lifted it off the floor back to Rendaz.

"I think I will find my way around. Thank you."

He almost didn't want to move to pick up the God damn keys, as if that would be owning up to a weakness, as if it made any difference at this point. But if he wanted the bath -- and drink -- there was no choice. Stiffly, he walked over to where they were laying and squatted down to get them, wincing a bit at the daggers shooting up in the broken bone of his hip. Why did he still want to live, again...? Oh, right, at the moment it was to take a bath. And have a drink. After that... he would see.

Fingers hooked around the ring, he slowly stood back up and gave Rendaz an empty look. "If that is all, I must beg your leave."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rendaz "Flammy" Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:00 pm

He grinned, though he did try to disguise it as something more polite than amused. But the difference between them was subtle, if anything at all. Who could blame Richard for being on top of his toes here? He could very well have accidentally plucked a dagger from his drawers instead of keys. Still, it was an interesting detail to note.

He quirked a brow of feigned surprise, before slowly shaking his head with tuts of disappointment. "It's such a shame to part when we've only just met. I'm sure in better circumstances, we could have a drink and a nice banter, eh?" Not that he particularly counted on it happening.

Without caring much for the response, he shifted towards the door. A few clicks later, it swung open wide, the corridor beyond awaiting them. He gestured with his head. "Off with you, now, I got stuff to do, and I ain't wasting time with this chit-chat."
Rendaz
Rendaz "Flammy"
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:45 pm

He showed no reaction to Rendaz's expression, his own as dull as it had been. It wasn't that what happened wasn't worth being embarrassed over -- he was simply too tired to care. He gave a polite nod. "Certainly. I shall be looking forward to it." As Rendaz headed for the door, Richard took a step forward only to realize his backpack was gone. His heart sank. When--? Frantically, he looked around and almost choked on a sigh of relief as he noticed it placed near the stool. When did he even take it off...? He reached for the backpack, hoisted it up carefully and put it on. For a moment, he breathed deeply and stood still, hoping his heart would stop attempting to beat its way out of his chest; but the moment he shut his eyes, the firm ground below his feet slowly begun to turn and spin, threatening to slip out from underneath him and make him float off somewhere into the darkness. He opened his eyes quickly, grabbing at the edge of the desk. No resting, not yet.

Despite his best efforts, when he looked to Rendaz, his expression was slightly perturbed. Trying not to allow it to show, he averted his gaze, pretending he needed to watch his step as he made his way through the littered room. "Yes, well. I will see you tomorrow, then." With one last glance over his shoulder as he walked out through the door, he gave a bitter smirk. "Good night."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next