The Alliance at Lillegard Castle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Disturbing Silence [Ambrose + Shae]
by Ambrose Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:35 am

» Plant Music [Risko and Hunter]
by Risiko Bann Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:30 pm

» Trying to fly [open]
by Cynric Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:41 am

» New Room means new Roommate (Shae and Zin)
by Shae-Lantern Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:34 am

» Happy as a flower. (Corey and Alicia)
by Corey Passionbunny Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:58 am

» Little Song [Denskith + Richard]
by Denskith Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:47 am

» A stroll through the mountains... (Audi and Gen)
by Genivir Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:39 am

» Books and Boredom (Shae and Sheloe)
by Shae-Lantern Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:04 am

» A Short Day (open)
by Risiko Bann Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:34 am

» Humble Hoodoo and Adamant Alchemist
by Natan Isaac Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:07 am

Top posting users this week
No user

Little Song [Denskith + Richard]

2 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Little Song [Denskith + Richard] - Page 2 Empty Re: Little Song [Denskith + Richard]

Post  Richard Wallace Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:25 am

Richard nodded along slowly, before suddenly furrowing his brow and giving Denskith a confused look. "You went to college? An outside one?" Maybe it should not have been such a surprise, but it was -- just how much would he stick out? He supposed Denskith could claim some rare genetic mutation, but it was still a strange thought.

After a beat of a pause, he gave a shrug and a wry smile. "Thank you, I suppose... but it is laziness, trust me." In a way, it was, wasn't it? When surviving outside became a struggle, seeking shelter instead of fighting was the lazy choice. "I know what you mean, though. Living here brings a whole different host of... problems with it."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Height : 183 cm
Weight : 87 kg

http://roqi.deviantart.com/art/AALC-Richard-Wallace-278528217

Back to top Go down

Little Song [Denskith + Richard] - Page 2 Empty Re: Little Song [Denskith + Richard]

Post  Denskith Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:13 pm

"Y-yes?"  Why the confusion--?  It would be difficult to teach without the proper certification.  Then again, he wasn't using that in the Academy-- Alliance-- anymore, but it was the idea that counted.  Maybe.  "Wolfgang managed to pull some strings.  H-he had thought," he continued to make sure that Richard didn't think Wolfgang had been using his influence wrongly or anything, "that having the Lorelei out of the way would be a good idea for continuing recovery efforts." Most wouldn't dare get near him by the end of the war.

He didn't smile with Richard's smile, just gave a slight nod of the head.  "I am . . . probably worried about the castle.  I think it's falling apart?"  He had to fix a leak in his room's ceiling more than once already.  "And, the deans-- I would not want to pick sides.  I've already had to do that once, and I would not like to do it again."
Denskith
Denskith

Height : 203.2 cm / 6 ft, 8 in.
Weight : 79.3 kg/ 175 lb.

http://yuriakashu.deviantart.com/art/AALC-Denskith-Huges-2798005

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:28 pm

"Huh. I see." That made sense, he supposed. Dump the overemotional weapon of mass destruction somewhere else. Unfortunate, but necessary. He would have done the same, had he been in charge. Poor Denskith, though...

Richard frowned, running a hand through his hair. "I'm sure there's nothing to worry about... it's normal in such an old building. We'll just have to take good care of it, now that the Headmistress is gone and it doesn't self-heal." It felt nice to say reassuring things while actually believing them. "And as for the... 'deans'," he said, making air quotes, "or 'leaders', or whatever is it that they call themselves, they seem to get along." His tone was rather pointedly neutral. "No reason for concern. They know what is best for the place."

Or themselves, rather. But for as long as those two lined up...
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Denskith Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:06 pm

His gaze was glued onto the ceiling now, expecting any minute that some random drop would land on him or his sheet music or Richard just to spite him.  It's true that he wasn't used to older buildings, but . . .  But then again, Richard would know about these things, wouldn't he?  He knew a lot more than he did and wielded it more skillfully, too.  So, to the noted absence of self-healing, Denskith gave only a small nod.  He could not convince himself, though, that knowledge had anything to do with taking care of a castle.

"I might be speaking a bit presumptuously, but . . .  I think maybe the deans are not best for ruling over the castle and its residents."  And, he could tell that Richard felt similarly-- he had to with that tone of voice!  Or, was he looking too much into the vampire's words, searching for some hint of displeasure towards the leaders of the castle and finding what he wanted?  No, that wasn't it.  Probably.  "It's difficult for me to remember even seeing Dean Rendaz, and as for Dean Kale . . .  I found her terrifying but good.  Not kind, but very skilled."  Not like Wolfgang but rather like Amacus, the other founder of the Resistance.  Still, despite being such opposites, both cared for Windor, and both managed to work well in tandem.

"Do . . .  Do the deans get a long with each other?" Denskith asked nervously, prying his eyes away from the ceiling at long last. One had to hope for such things.
Denskith
Denskith

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:45 am

Richard's eyebrows lifted slightly when Denskith -- usually striving rather hard not to rock the boat, he thought -- made that sort of a comment. If nothing else, it was a show of trust, and that he could appreciate. His lip twitched with wry amusement, though he kept the joking question, 'are you proposing a coup?', to himself.

Because... what if he was?

He gave a thoughtful hum. "Well... Their rule is rather laissez faire, I grant you. However, when you're presiding over... what is, basically, a bunch of outcasts, sometimes the best thing to do may be to stay out of the way unless strictly necessary." Or whip them into line. But if one wanted to rule by force, one had to expect by force being removed. He wasn't certain if the two would be able to resist that, depending on who the rebel was.

Himself and Denskith would probably wreck them, he mused idly.

"Anyway..." He shrugged, giving a bit of an indifferent huff. "They're not friends. But they work together."

Unfortunately. Conflict was that much more exploitable...
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Denskith Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:26 pm

Denskith was happy that Richard was taking him seriously-- because, really, he was being serious and wanted the matter to be treated as such.  It was a very serious matter.  Um.  H-he listened to the vampire's response carefully, weighing every word.  The theory made sense.  It wasn't how things were done in Windor-- the exact opposite, really-- but, then again, Lillegard was not Windor.  With Kevin here, he had to remind himself that more and more.

"I could suppose . . .  It's probably good that they work well together, though," he managed to cheerily note.  "Very good, and . . .  I suppose the castle is still standing, isn't it?"  He attempted a dry laugh; it wasn't a very good one.  "I'm . . .  I'm probably being very silly for thinking such things, aren't it?  Worrying needlessly."  His lop-sided smile remained, but again, he was being serious.  He had misunderstood things, hadn't he? and, had assumed that the castle was falling into disarray with its leadership.  Th-that wasn't the case at all!  He felt the urge to apologize-- but resisted because Richard had actually heard him out.  He didn't want to backtrack on that.
Denskith
Denskith

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:30 am

"I suppose. For now, everything is in balance."

Richard cocked his head slightly, intertwining his fingers in his lap. "For now. I don't think you're being silly at all. One should never feel too secure. In fact, I think it is rather reassuring you've been keeping a questioning eye on things." He nodded approvingly. "The place could use more people like you."

Had he gone too far with the praise? He hoped not. It was honestly meant, everything else aside -- the Island was full of people willfully ignorant to what was going on around them.

The balance was on the tip of a dagger. If it tipped, Denskith needed to be on his side.
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Denskith Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:22 pm

For now.  He wasn't comfortable with just that, though . . .  And, Richard seemed to understand that-- no, he did understand.  Richard didn't understand, though; Denskith wasn't the one being reassuring, not at all!  And, that last statement-- compliment-- him, receiving praise--?  His face burned red, and his voice raised slightly up in pitch.

"M-m-more like me?"  The last word-- note-- was really sung, not spoken, so a word-note, and in a range that should not have been at all comfortable for a grown man.  It only made his blush brighten.  "I'm not-- probably not-- something worthy of praise, Richard, I-I just-- I just probably follow orders and sing and play chess and all to the best of my ability, but nothing worthy of PRAISE, just . . .  just attempts."  It was laughable, really.  He could understand laughing at this, at least.  At him.  His blush was finally cooling down, remembering.  Why did he always forget--?  "I'm just a soldier; all I can do are attempts.

"I suppose that could be why I'm so worried.  A-as a soldier, I want the people that order me to, ultimately, have good interests and to maybe respect me-- probably.  Maybe."
 Hopefully.  That's what they did in Windor, and it had rather risen up his expectations, his standards.  He was selfish that way.  He didn't like that.

"I should probably stop talking now . . ." he said, hanging his head.
Denskith
Denskith

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:19 am

A blush, and Richard had expected nothing else. At the squeak, though, he had to raise a hand to cover his mouth and the smile twitching there.

As Denskith continued, though, slowly his amusement drained and he let his arm fall back into his lap. He inclined his head. "I understand." One wanted to have faith in that the orders he was given were good. Richard paused a moment in thought, then looked to the other seriously. "But you're not an unquestioning soldier here, Denskith. And I am certain that if it came to that, you would be able to tell a right order from wrong... and follow the right one."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Denskith Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:45 pm

He raised up his head at Richard's statement of, well, understanding. He understood-- good. Wonderful, in fact. He watched the vampire think, his right hand's fingers shuffling at the knuckles like a wave, up and down and making a rather loud shuffling of skin. He stopped when Richard began to speak again. He listened. And, he felt undeserving.

"I've followed bad orders before, Richard." It was eerie how calm his voice was now; it was eerie even to Denskith. "How . . . How do you figure out the moralities of war when it just gets so damn complicated?" An honest question, and one that he waited the answer for.
Denskith
Denskith

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:43 pm

Richard considered him for a second, then a small amused huff escaped him. How typical of a veteran to find it hard to detach from a battlefield way of thinking.

Leaning closer, he looked Denskith in the eyes seriously and spoke, every word slow and deliberate. "Denskith. Let me say this again. You're not a soldier here. In times of war, it is essential to obey your orders. In times of peace, it is important to question them."

Under attack, a second of hesitation could spell doom.... and in any other circumstances, not thinking before doing what one was told could.

"We have the comfort of not being under fire... for now," he felt obliged to add as he sat up straight again. "For now, I'm afraid you'll have to think for yourself."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Denskith Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:36 pm

Denskith met Richard's eyes; at the end of his advice, all he could do was nod slowly.  That was it, wasn't it?  Don't think in war but think about it all the time afterwards.  Let it haunt you-- otherwise, you aren't being wise.  Thinking about the past was simpler than the present, in that regard; he had the benefit of hindsight.  In the future, he would just rely on other's commands, regardless of their moralities, but for now . . .  Denskith looked back down and began to twiddle his fingers.

"I . . . might try.  To continue questioning."  The fluctuations in his voice were returning, and Denskith felt his own shoulders rise and fall-- a silent sigh of relief that he did not have to be a soldier, not now.  Not yet.

"What . . .  What is Dean Rendaz like?  I can remember meeting Dean Kale but not the other."
Denskith
Denskith

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:26 pm

The irony of telling Denskith what to do and him obeying was not lost on Richard, but it was not an order, exactly. Just friendly advice that seemed to relieve him in some way. Questioning things didn't mean one couldn't sometimes choose to obey.

He nodded slowly, considering the question with care.

"Rendaz is... not a people-person, to put it mildly," he finally said with a wry smile. "He cares a lot about himself and his work and doesn't hide the fact the rest concerns him little. And, he is competent in what he does. Intelligent." He shrugged a little. "Cold-blooded."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Denskith Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:16 am

"Not a people-person" was not the most comforting phrase to hear. A leader did not have to be personable, per say, but they needed-- should have-- probably should have to their benefit a concern for other people. Otherwise, how would they not lead others into danger? How would they not just-- just not care? This was exactly what he was worried about!

"Perhaps . . . 'level-headed in the cause'?" he proposed, nerves clear in his voice. He tried a smile, as if that ever worked. "Cold-blooded might be a good thing, but . . ." Lots of things could be good, but probably not that. Probably-definitely not that.
Denskith
Denskith

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:20 pm

Richard hummed thoughtfully. "That is one way to put it, yes."

He eyed Denskith for a moment, intrigued. Honestly, he wasn't sure what to think. Certainly, one had to question who they were listening to, but...

"Denskith... just what are you so worried about? They're administrators, not leaders. They're not going to lead us to war, for nobody would follow them."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Denskith Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:29 pm

He smiled at the hum but was shocked by what followed.  It was in no offense to Richard, just that . . .  Well.  "That's what leaders do, isn't it?

"Presidents and chairmen-- chairwomen, too-- and mayors and deans of all sorts.  They would lead us to some sort of war--"
Another squeak.  "--ideological or physical, and, in that warfare, we would need to be lead."  He wasn't missing something, was he?  He thought it was rather obvious-- a defining truth, even.  "Isn't that what leaders do?  War?"
Denskith
Denskith

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:15 pm

As the man went on, a crease in Richard's brow deepened. It took him a few seconds of poorly concealed bewilderment before he found his voice again.

"...No?" His tone was incredulous, still suspecting a misunderstanding of some sort. He supposed the 'ideological' part could be true, to some degree. Leading a group, one wanted it to be of one mind, its aggression aimed outwards rather than expressed through in-group conflict. But... he really didn't think that either Kale or Rendaz cared enough to aim for that. "They're just minding their own business. Nothing more, nothing less."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Denskith Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:00 pm

Richard's expression only confirmed Denskith's doubt.  His face reddened at the vampire's simple answer, and his line of sight dashed down to the ground.  Where did he go wrong--?

"But, I just . . .  War?" he asked again, just to make sure.  He managed to pry his eyes upwards for half a second, just to make sure that Richard wasn't-- wasn't lying?  He wasn't sure what he was hoping for, at this point.  This was so embarrassing, and he didn't even know why.  What was he getting wrong?  His eyes went back downward.

"S-sorry.  Sorry, I-- I might have missed something."
Denskith
Denskith

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:49 pm

Richard shook his head, very slowly, his perplexed stare never leaving Denskith's face. "No. No war." He felt like he was explaining something to a child. "There is no war."

A slight chill crept down his back, as if he was not Denskith, but him, that was very, very wrong. But that was silly. There was no war -- not here, not now. He cracked a small, lopsided smile, which while still a little uncertain, was genuine. "Don't be so paranoid."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Denskith Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:41 pm

"Yes," he immediately conceded, face burning brighter and redder than ever before-- well, during this conversation.  In this past hour.  Within thirty minutes?  "Yes, I should apologize.  Sorry for probably being paranoid.  Sorry."  His back was beginning to hunch forward-- hunch forward even more, rather-- and the tops of his legs were now touching his abdomen.  He was becoming smaller and smaller.

"I just--  I suppose I'm not used to the concept."  He managed to quickly glance upwards, then immediately back down.  He caught the smile, though, and tried to imitate.  It wasn't very comforting when he did it himself, if at all.  "It can be rather difficult to think any other way when most of my memorable life has been in Windor.  All of it," he corrected with a half-frown.  "It's a bit-- it can be a bit fuzzy before then.  I'm probably rambling, though.  Definitely."
Denskith
Denskith

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:25 am

As he watched the man crumple, Richard fought back a wince and the sudden desire to give him a hug. Would that be awkward, though. All the comfort that he would have wanted to express through that gesture he tried to pour into his tone.

"It's okay. I understand, I really do. It's hard to change your mindset, when one sort of a life is all you know." He hummed. "For quite a few years after I became a vampire, I kept living like a human would. It took a while to work through the mental habits... To accept that now I could jump across rooftops and swim seas. That I was free." Reclining a little, he gave Denskith a thoughtful look. "I have nothing less but complete faith in that someday, you will reach that stage as well."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Denskith Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:19 pm

A part of Denskith-- a very, very small part, mind-- believed that Richard was patronizing him with such a tone, but the rest of him knew that it was sincere.  The vampire wouldn't degrade him, not now, probably not ever.  He slowly uncurled himself and found himself nodding to Richard's words and even smiling a bit.

"Freedom . . ."  He tested the word on his mouth, unsure of its entire meaning.  "I guess this island is freedom, maybe.  Hopefully."  His smile grew.  "I can relate with the jumping-- I kinda lept out of a window right after my serum shot.  From the second story.  And, with a perfect landing."  A small laugh escaped his lips. "That's not even the strangest thing anymore . . ."
Denskith
Denskith

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:26 pm

Relieved, Richard returned the smile and chuckled along with him. "Right after? That's brave. Right after my turning, I went to my office, as I had important mail to answer to." He shook his head lightly, amused at his own distant silliness. "And then, I kept doing that for a good while afterwards."

He gave a shrug. "Everything changes. 'Strange' gets redefined. It's best not to get too attached to a lifestyle."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Denskith Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:17 am

He continued to laugh for only a moment longer.  "That probably sounds wonderful to me.  I didn't even mean to jump out the window, it just sort of . . . happened."  He smile shrunk.  "I was trying to run away from the strangeness of Windor.  It couldn't work, of course."

Denskith contemplated the vampire's last words for a few moments longer, the process showing clearly on his face: a scrunch of the mouth, a pressing of index finger and thumb to his mouth . . .  He eventually conceded.  "I can suppose, but then . . .  Doesn't one fight for their attachments?  Isn't that the core of motivation--? or, maybe it's to change them--?"  He brushed a hand through his hair.  "Maybe I'm thinking too hard . . ."
Denskith
Denskith

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Wallace Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:16 pm

Richard kept smiling vaguely, not certain how to respond to the man's drop in mood. It didn't seem to matter, though, as Denskith fell silent, into one thought or another. The vampire took that moment to shift in his seat a little and look around, again wishing in vain that there was a drink available. This sort of a conversation was hard to have dry. A small sigh escaped him before he looked to Denskith again.

"What are attachments, though? You can certainly fight for a change." His brow furrowed in thought, but then he shook his head with a chuckle. "Yes, you are thinking too hard about it."
Richard Wallace
Richard Wallace
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next